My photo
Hi, my name is Allison. I’m a photographer based in Boise, ID. I specialize in interiors with an editorial flair. I received my Bachelor’s of Fine Arts from Boise State University. I believe my education is what sets me apart from your average person with a fancy camera. If anything, it shows you how damn dedicated I am to my craft. When I’m not shooting for clients, I work on my personal projects. Work from my ongoing photographic series, “Spaces of Cultural Comfort,” has been exhibited locally at the Boise Art Museum and three pieces have been acquired by the City of Boise to be included in the Boise Visual Chronicle, a permanent collection of artworks. When I’m not photographing, I like to go out thrifting. Please check out my Etsy store for badass vintage housewares and accessories. I’m a quiet person by nature but contrary to popular opinion, I’m not shy. I curse like a sailor around my friends + family and sometimes on this blog.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Idaho Hispanic Youth Symposium: Sun Valley, ID

I've thought about writing this post for a while now and I don't know why it has taken me so long. Actually, I do know why. I was trying to find the right words to express what HYS meant to me. Then I realized how bad I am at writing and at expressing my feelings. Right. Lets see if I can do this.

The Idaho Hispanic Youth Symposium is an annual event for young Latino students. It was designed to motivate them to pursue a higher education. I was lucky enough to be invited to participate my senior year of high school. After the three day symposium I was more than motivated and passionate about pursuing a higher education. Growing up, I always knew I was going to go to college. But I was a first generation college student and I didn't have anyone to teach me how to even begin to get into school, much less pay for it. While at the symposium I, along with other students who would later become my friends until this day, received a College Assistance Migrant Program Scholarship to attend Lewis Clark State College in Lewiston, ID. The scholarship paid for my entire first year of college, including room and board. If it wasn't for the scholarship or HYS, I probably wouldn't have seriously pursued a higher education. I can honestly say that it changed my life.

Fast forward eight years to April of this year, when I was invited by my friend Anabel (one of the many friends I met at HYS) to take some pictures of the event that takes place in Sun Valley, ID. I have to say, it was better the second time around because I got to see how many other students, like myself, have been changed by this program. I left the symposium motivated and inspired and I hope the program continues to change the lives of young Latino students.



Every year students can participate in a 5k run with Judge Gutierrez. A girl beat Judge Gutierrez for the first time in the history of HYS.
Guillermo Raya teaches students about where to find money to pay for school.
Poet and spoken word artist, Joaquin Zihuatanejo, was one of the keynote speakers.
Artist Bobby Gaytan is the official judge for the art contest that students can participate in.

This guy had the best "grito" I have ever heard.
Talent was abound.


Recipients of Gonzaga University scholarships.

1 comment:

  1. Love it. not just because i am in one of the pictures. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete